All hotkeys can be reassigned by opening the menu and choosing the Options tab
Keyboard & Mouse
A S D
|W Move Up|
A Move Left
S Move Down
D Move Right
|Left Click, C||Use tool or place item|
|Right Click, X||Check/Do Action|
|Escape, E||Open Menu|
|M||Open Map window|
|Y||Open Emote Menu|
|?, T||Open Chat Box|
|1 - 0, - , +||Inventory hotkeys|
- See also: Multiplayer/Emotes
The following emotes are available by pressing Y:
- Shift + left-click an inventory item/stack to move it to the top row.
- Shift + left-click to continuously purchase items inside a shop/merchant's inventory window.
- Shift + left-click to craft 5 items at a time inside the crafting menu.
- Right-click to purchase 5 items. Hold Shift + right-click to keep purchasing items 5 at a time.
- Right-click a stack of inventory/chest items to single out one of them.
- Shift + right-click to select half a stack of inventory/chest items.
- Hold right-click or left-click while moving the mouse over a group of equipment (e.g., Kegs, Preserves Jars, Casks, Bee Houses) to collect items quickly.
- Have another item selected in inventory to refill equipment automatically.
- If the item is edible, you must use left-click, or the game will ask if you want to consume the item.
- Delete to permanently delete a selected item in the inventory window. (Use E/Escape to open inventory, then Left-click on an item/stack to select it, then press the delete key.)
- Pressing the Esc key while on the opening splash screen takes you directly to the main menu select screen.
- When viewing the "Do you want to eat <item>?" dialogue box, pressing E/Escape will close the dialogue box without eating the item, and pressing the "Y" key will eat the item.
- Shift + left-click on an item in the Catalogue or Furniture Catalogue to add it directly to inventory, instead of attaching it to the mouse cursor. This also works when removing items from the Grange Display at the Stardew Valley Fair.
- Rebind the chat box key to avoid opening it accidentally, or temporarily enter screenshot mode with F4 to place objects at the bottom left of the screen.
Xbox One / Xbox 360 Controller
Controller buttons can not be reassigned.
|Move Cursor; Open In-game Chat (Click in)|
|A||Check / Do Action / Use Cursor|
|Y||Open Crafting Menu|
|LT RT||Switch Item|
| B Y
|LT RT||Switch Menu Tab|
|X||Move One Item / Use Item (bait, etc.)|
- When purchasing items in bulk, hold SQUARE and X to speed up the buying process
- With the inventory menu open, press the Touchpad button to automatically sort the items.
- Pressing CIRCLE after selecting an item(s) from your inventory will move it to the trash icon.
Object Placement Tips
- One of the most useful controls is the Right Stick. It can be used to exactly place furniture, rugs, windows, etc. where you want them. It's pretty sensitive but absolutely required especially for placing windows.
- While moving a rug into place using the Right Stick, use A to Rotate the rug.
- To "power-up" tools such as the Watering Can (i.e., act on multiple tiles at once), press and hold "Y".
- Interacting with villagers with any item other than tools will gift that item to the villager.
- When moving inventory the Y button will move one item at a time or hold to move multiple.
- Pressing B after selecting an item(s) from your inventory will move it to the trash icon.
- Pressing - while in your inventory will quickly organize items.
- Pressing both A and Y while purchasing items from any shop will allow the player to purchase items twice as fast.
- Pressing Y performs basic attack while pressing B performs block or alternate attack.
- 1.4: Removed "new" input from button press until the button is released. This makes harvesting large numbers of kegs/preserves jars/crystalariums, etc. easier by holding the button without releasing it. Added option to shift toolbar (active inventory bar) to PC. Added emotes menu.