This wiki is a read-only version of the Stardew Valley Wiki. The official editable wiki maintained by ConcernedApe can be found at stardewvalleywiki.com
Luck is a statistic that affects many different aspects of the game, such as the drop rates of geodes and chance of getting treasure from Fishing. There are two kinds of luck: Daily Luck, which is determined by the game, and Luck Buffs gained from eating certain food.
The base value for daily luck is a randomly generated number from -0.1 to 0.1. If you have the Special Charm, the value is increased by 0.025. Daily luck does not change if the day is restarted, but it can change if you replay the previous day.
You can check your daily luck by right-clicking on the Television and selecting "Fortune Teller." The Fortune Teller will give an indication of the daily luck stat modifier. Luck is not affected by viewing the Fortune Teller Television Program (i.e., the luck value is not neutral if the player does not view the program, the luck value remains constant regardless.)
A 0.01 increase in daily luck generally means a random event is about 1% more likely to happen.
Before revealing the luck message, one of the following messages is shown randomly (the first two being gender-specific). They do not affect the luck in any way.
|“||“Ah... I sense that a new viewer has joined us. A young man from... Stardew Valley? Welcome, welcome!”|
|“||“Ah... I sense that a new viewer has joined us. A young lady from... Stardew Valley? Welcome, welcome!”|
|“||“Ah... yes, I can hear the spirits whispering something to me... ”|
|“||“Welcome back to 'Welwick's Oracle'... If you seek hidden knowledge of the future, well you've come to the right place.”|
|“||“Hoo.. I see a glimmer within my scrying orb... A shard of knowledge from the future!”|
|“||“Welcome to Welwick's Oracle... the ONLY show where the voice of the spirits is channeled directly... to YOU.”|
|Message||TV Display||Stat Bonus |
|The spirits are very happy today! They will do their best to shower everyone with good fortune.||Luck (> +0.07)|
|The spirits are in good humor today. I think you'll have a little extra luck.||Luck (> +0.02 and ≤ +0.07)|
|The spirits feel neutral today. The day is in your hands.||Luck (≥ -0.02 and ≤ +0.02, but not 0)|
|This is rare. The spirits feel absolutely neutral today.||Luck (0)|
|The spirits are somewhat annoyed today. Luck will not be on your side.
The spirits are somewhat mildly perturbed today. Luck will not be on your side.
|Luck (≥ -0.07 and < -0.02)|
|The spirits are very displeased today. They will do their best to make your life difficult.||Luck (< -0.07)|
Daily Luck Effects
Daily luck affects the following:
- Amount of wood dropped from trees
- Chance of getting coal from rocks
- Chance to discover ladders while Mining.
- Chance that crates spawn in the Mines
- Quality and number of ores obtained from Panning.
- Chance of getting a second item (in addition to ore) from Panning.
- Geode drop chance from rocks.
- (Luck does not increase the chance to receive rare gems and artifacts from geodes.)
- Drop chance of Duck Feather and Rabbit's Foot.
- Chance of getting items from Garbage Cans and the chance the item is not trash.
- Chance your spouse will be jealous after giving a gift to another marriage candidate that you are also currently dating.
- Chance of treasure appearing while Fishing.
- Results of playing slots at the Casino.
- Amount of lightning during a storm (higher luck = more lightning). 
- Chance to double the number of extra crops yielded at harvest, for crops that allow extra harvests (i.e., Coffee Bean, Potato, Tomato, Blueberry, Hot Pepper, Eggplant, Cranberry, and Strawberry).
- Chance to find treasure rooms in the Skull Cavern.
- Amount of gold and items lost when dying in The Mines or Skull Cavern.
- Chance of finding gem nodes and mystic stones in The Mines or Skull Cavern.
This page or section contains unmarked spoilers from update 1.5 of Stardew Valley. Mobile players may want to avoid or be cautious toward reading this article.
In addition to Daily Luck, Luck Buffs gained from eating food will provide temporary bonuses. A luck buff of +1 means a random event is roughly 1% more likely to happen. Any luck buff is treated separately from daily luck, so the effects of the two types of luck are not automatically the same; both the types of events affected by luck buffs and the magnitude of the effect can be different. Only one drink-derived buff and one food-derived buff can be active at a given time.
Known differences between daily luck and luck buffs include:
- The drop chance of Duck Feather and Rabbit's Foot is not improved by luck buffs.
- For Fishing Treasure Chest contents, a luck buff does not improve special item chances. Instead, it increases the chance of getting double quantities of resources and gems. It also allows standard rings (Glow Ring, Magnet Ring) to appear in place of small rings (Small Glow Ring, Small Magnet Ring).
The following food and drink provide a temporary luck buff:
|Image||Name||Description||Ingredients||Restores||Buff(s)||Buff Duration||Recipe Source(s)||Sell Price|
|Banana Pudding||A creamy dessert with a wonderful tropical flavor.|| Banana (1)
Milk (1) (Any)Sugar (1)
|Mining (+1) Luck (+1) Defense (+1)||5m 1s||Island Trader for Bone Fragment (30)||260g|
|Fried Eel||Greasy but flavorful.||Eel (1) Oil (1)|| 75
George (Mail - 3+ )
|Ginger Ale||A zesty soda known for its soothing effect on the stomach.||Ginger (3) Sugar (1)|| 63
|Luck (+1)||5m||Dwarf Shop in Volcano on Ginger Island (1,000g)||200g|
|Lucky Lunch||A special little meal.||Sea Cucumber (1) Tortilla (1) Blue Jazz (1)|| 100
|Luck (+3)||11m 11s||
|Pumpkin Soup||A seasonal favorite.||Pumpkin (1) Milk (1)|| 200
|Defense (+2) Luck (+2)||7m 41s||
Robin (Mail - 7+ )
|Shrimp Cocktail||A sumptuous appetizer made with freshly-caught shrimp.||Tomato (1) Shrimp (1) Wild Horseradish (1)|| 225
|Fishing (+1) Luck (+1)||10m 2s||
|Spicy Eel||It's really spicy! Be careful.||Eel (1) Hot Pepper (1)|| 115
|Luck (+1) Speed (+1)||7m||
George (Mail - 7+ )
|Magic Rock Candy||A rare and powerful candy infused with the essence of the prismatic shard.||N/A||500225||Mining (+2) Luck (+5) Speed (+1) Defense (+5) Attack (+5)||8m 24s||N/A||5,000g|
The following ring gives a luck buff:
|Image||Name||Description||Effect||Where to Find||Ingredients||Purchase Price||Sell Price|
|Lucky Ring||The lunar emblem is said to bring good luck to whoever wears it.||Increases Luck by +1.||Dropped as a special item in the Skull Cavern, or rarely by panning.||N/A||N/A||100g|
- See Game1::_newDayAfterFade in the game code.
- See Objects.TV::getFortuneForecast in the game code.
- See Utility::performLightningUpdate in the game code.
- 1.3: Officially added Special Charm to game. Treasure rooms added to Skull Cavern, which are affected by luck.
- 1.4: Magic Rock Candy introduced. Special Charm luck increase changed to a static 0.025. Giving datable NPCs a gift no longer makes your spouse jealous unless you’re currently dating them.
- 1.5: Lucky Ring, Banana Pudding, and Ginger Ale introduced.
-Welwick, the host of the Fortune Teller show
|Skills & Stats|
|Skills||Farming • Mining • Foraging • Fishing • Combat|
|Stats||Attack • Crit. Power • Defense • Immunity • Luck • Magnetism • Speed • Weight|